Friday, September 17, 2010

Interview with Amber Ghosh



Amber Ghosh is a photographer and has a quite the following! Amber shoots couples and group shots to fashion and concerts and events. She’s a Graphic designer/Retouching/Photo Restoration expert and TFP/TFCD available . Amber loves photography & is a makeup connoisseur and quite the dinosaur enthusiast and feels “life is but a dream”

Amber spoke to Ladyaslan of DDTTRH about what she does and her thoughts on Duran Duran going to the Rock Hall…here is the interview~

LadyaslanDDTTRH: Do you think Duran Duran deserves to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Amber Ghosh: Absolutely! To be quite honest, when you approached me for this interview and I read about your petition, I was shocked they weren't already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. How could such a thing be true?!

LadyaslanDDTTRH: Tell us about yourself...what makes you tick? How long have you been involved in photography?

Amber Ghosh: What makes me tick, that is a tough one. I've always been drawn to what some might consider 'strange'. I am always looking for things that push the visual aesthetic, be that through fashion, fine arts, movies, music videos, makeup, photography or even food! I think that is what drew me into photography. Photography in itself encompasses all of those things. I can take my camera to a concert and convey the raw sensation of an over the top light show or I can visit a quiet art gallery on a Sunday morning and snap candid pictures of a mother explaining an interactive art piece to her son. With photography, I can encapsulate all of those visually appealing (or assaulting) genres with one fell swoop.

How long have I been involved in photography? Well, if you want to be technical about it, I started as a photographer for my yearbook in middle school. I went around campus and went to football games taking pictures, and then put together a collage (hand cut, in the days before Photoshop :P) that went into our yearbook. Since then, I've always been the "friend who has the camera" taking a million pictures at every party, family trip or rock show. Now, I've left that middle ground of enthusiast and am breaking into professional.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: What is your favorite Duran Duran song and video?

Amber Ghosh: My Favorite Duran Duran song is Come Undone. I know A LOT of people probably say that, but come on... it's an AMAZING song! I had it on every mix tape I made in the 90's. Electric Barbarella is a close second, and is my favorite Duran Duran video. Often when I'm shooting with female models, the song & video for Electric Barbarella are playing in my mind. I take a lot of photographic inspiration from that song.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: Tell us about the event you shot: Destroyed The Future, Electric Gods Are Industry?

Amber Ghosh: Oh that was a fun one! That even took place at The Scoot Inn here in Austin, TX and was organized by my fiancé, Avi. 5 bands played: Destroyed For Comfort, The Future Process, Pulse Electric, Gods Are Ghosts, and Art Versus Industry. I named the event by combining all of the bands' names. It was a great night, I was having so much fun talking to members of the crowd, I hardly got any shots of the bands playing and focused more on getting pictures of the antics of the audience... especially as they had more and more to drink!

LadyaslanDDTTRH: What contributions do you feel Duran Duran has made to the world of music and fashion in the past 30 yrs?

Amber Ghosh: I think they have contributed more than people give them credit for. Most of their videos are fantastical and surreal, which is the exact direction high fashion has taken. Oddly, fashion and music seem to be melding into one giant puddle of synthesizers and spiked heels *cough* Lady Gaga *cough*. I'm not sure whether to thank Duran Duran or give them a slap on the wrist at some points, but it safe to say they had a huge hand in combining popular music with fashion and vanity.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: When did you decide / realize that photography was your ultimate calling?

Amber Ghosh: It wasn't until mid-2008 that I started to consider photography as a profession. I took my Canon point & shoot with me everywhere, had friends model for me, took pictures of my fiancé's band and finally realized, "This is what I want to do". It was an odd and liberating awakening for me. 2 years, one D-SLR camera & 4 lenses later here I am, trying to make a name for myself.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: You have a pic on your FB website: Samantha with the blue eye shadow and lace over the face (I had a hat that the black lace covered the face like that in the mid 80's ) JUST FANTASTIC!! What was the motivation for this shoot?


Amber Ghosh: Thank you! I love these shots, and I love lace. Samantha, the model, brought this amazing lace hair bow with her the day of the shoot. After I did her makeup, we put on the hair bow and I realized that if we put it on upside down the lace would cover her face. I've had some people tell me it's a bit grim, as if she is some glamorous widow mourning the death of her husband. I take that as a compliment, honestly. Anytime I can evoke a feeling in someone with my photos, be it positive or negative I consider it a success. I also think Samantha and I were both influenced by the fashion in IAMX & Imogen Heap's video "My Secret Friend". We had been discussing it recently, and I think it bled into our look for that shoot.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: Will or would you ever consider publishing a book of your work ( the shots you take ) for a coffee table type book?


Amber Ghosh: Yes, I definitely would. To see my work published would be a dream come true. To see it on someone's coffee table would be an even bigger dream come true.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: The 1/2 of Destroyed for comfort and 1/3 of Art Versus Industry photo ( INCREDIBLE he was the SIMON game~ LOL ) what is the story behind that shot?

Amber Ghosh: Ha-ha, well that was really just a candid shot before all of the bands started playing. The guy from Destroyed For Comfort, Ralf, always has the BEST outfits for their live performances. When I saw that he was the Simon game, I just had to get a picture of it! Avi made that silly face and there you go, priceless shot!

LadyaslanDDTTRH: If you could have a sit down with any member of Duran Duran who would it be and what would be topic of discussion?

Amber Ghosh: It would have to be Nick Rhodes. The topic of discussion would, surprisingly, not be about music, but rather his experience with art and photography. I'd love to pick his brain about his book of abstract Polaroid photography "Interference," and his experiences with Andy Warhol and The Factory. Then I'd probably beg him to model for me.

LadyaslanDDTTRH: Anything you want to speak about or share with the fans?

Amber Ghosh: Just that I am so grateful for all of the positive response I've received so far, and invite everyone to check out my portfolio page on I have a lot of incredibly creative projects coming up, and I think, if anyone, fans of Duran Duran will appreciate the vision I'm trying to achieve.

To learn more about Duran Duran to the Rock Hall - Official Effort (DDTTRH) and to sign our petition, please visit our hub site http://ddttrh.info/.

FOLLOW Amber Ghosh:

Facebook at: http://facebook.com/ambersphotos

MySpace at: http://www.myspace.com/amberghosh

Twitter: http://twitter.com/amberghosh

Deviant Art: http://amberghosh.deviantart.com/

Blog: http://amberghosh.com/

Please follow DDTTRH on Twitter!  @DDTTRH

No comments:

Post a Comment